Home > Libraries, Personal > Library Day in the Life – 7/26/2010 (Day 1)

Library Day in the Life – 7/26/2010 (Day 1)

July 28, 2010

This week I am joining the many other librarians who are participating in Library Day in the Life. This year marks the 5th round of the project, but only my first. The goal? To paint a picture of my daily activities on the job. So here goes…the librarian and administrator…play by play…Day 1, Monday.

7:20 a.m.

Arrived at office, shook off the weekend, and scanned the day’s “To Do” list. Coffee.

7:30 a.m. — 7:45 a.m.

Jumped right in by discussing with a staff member a couple issues concerning dissertation binding and electronic dissertation submissions.

7:45 a.m. — 8:15 a.m.

Fired up the laptop. Checked the email inbox. Did a morning scan of the Twitter accounts and Facebook pages (personal and library) and left running in the background for ongoing monitoring of posts, comments, questions, etc.

8:15 a.m. — 8:30 a.m.

Talked with the archivist about a possible book repair and recommendations. A community user had approached me over the weekend asking for help with a damaged book.

8:30 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.

Majority of my morning was devoted to compiling annual library statistics for the 2009-2010 academic year. Lots of progress here. Just me, the data, and the spreadsheets. With office tasks like this, however, I like to take occasional breaks to give my eyes a rest and walk out into the library. In addition to stretching my legs, I am able to interact with library visitors and simply be visible as a roving librarian available for on-the-spot help.

12:45 p.m. — 2:00 p.m.

Participated in an email conversation centered around planning for expansion of our small, start-up branch library on the Columbia, S.C. campus. Helped an administrator seeking resources on planning for educational facilities.

2:00 p.m. — 2:15 p.m.

Helped a staff member clarify a personnel issue with Human Resources (Equipping and ‘standing in the gap” for a great library staff. That’s a key part of what I do.)

2:15 p.m. — 2:45 p.m.

Grabbed a quick (and late) lunch. Switched from coffee to iced tea.

2:45 p.m. — 4:00 p.m.

Followed up on some more email and returned to work on the annual library statistics.

4:00 p.m. — 4:30 p.m.

Made a phone call to the systems librarian responsible for our integrated library system–a system shared with six other independent college libraries. Had a good conversation regarding library system planning for 2010-2011.

4:30 p.m. — 5:30 p.m.

Left the office a little early to visit a nearby university library and use a resource that they made available to me. (It’s great having other academic librarians in the local area with whom we cooperate and collaborate.)


Overall, a productive day.


Related posts:

%d bloggers like this: